The Research Committee of the Australian Institute of International Affairs (AIIA) is calling for expressions of interest for its 2016 Publication Support Grant. The grant of up to $4,000 will be made to facilitate the publication of an original and high quality book on a contemporary topic of major relevance to Australia’s international affairs.
Funds can be utilised in a variety of ways, including, for example, as a publishing subvention, on research assistance or to defray the cost of hosting a workshop for contributors to an edited volume. The AIIA can also make in-kind contributions such as hosting the workshop at one of its state offices or its National Office in Canberra and/or helping with the preparation of the publication manuscript.
This project aims to fulfil the AIIA’s role as a knowledge broker and supporter of debate on Australia’s foreign relations and as such, the AIIA is to be clearly prominent on the back cover of the book. The book will include a short foreword by the Research Chair.
The AIIA is keen that in addition to a book publication, there will be some dissemination of the book’s findings to AIIA members and the general public. This may take the form of a book launch event or a talk delivered by a contributor to the local AIIA.
Expressions of interest of no more than four pages should include:
- Draft book proposal and intended publisher
- Draft budget
- Plan, including timeline, for dissemination of findings to AIIA members and the general public.
Please also attach the curriculum vitae of the applicant(s).
Submissions will be subject to the following selection criteria:
- Is this a book with which the AIIA would be proud to be associated? i.e. Is the proposed book of scholarly merit on a topic of major contemporary relevance for Australian foreign relations?
- Is there an indication that the author is also keen to be associated with the AIIA? i.e. that the author is willing for AIIA to add its logo and foreword?
- Has there been some interest from a publisher?
- Is there a suitable dissemination plan for AIIA members and possibly for the public more broadly?
Preference will be given to proposals that have already received attention from potential publishers. Membership of the AIIA will be highly regarded.
Expressions of interest are due by 29 February 2016 and should be sent by email to the AIIA National Office on email@example.com. Submissions will be judged by the AIIA’s Research Committee.
Those wishing to discuss their proposal before submission should contact Professor Shirley Scott, Chair of the AIIA Research Committee, on (02) 93851630 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The AIIA reserves the right not to award any grant, give a smaller grant or to extend the date if needed.
Please click here for a PDF of the above submission guidelines.