- International political economy
- International relations theory
- Wars and crises as mechanisms of change
- The Political Economy of natural Resources
- Asian Pacific Political Economy
- US foreign policy
Wesley W. Widmaier is an Australian Research Council Future Fellow in the Centre for Governance and Public Policy and at the Griffith Asia Institute at Griffith University in Brisbane Australia. His research interests include International Political Economy, International Relations Theory and the specific role of wars and crises as mechanisms of large-scale change. He is currently completing a manuscript on the interplay of economic consensus, crisis and change from the Great Crash to the Global Financial Crisis.